Carealot – Extraordinary People since 1996
Carealot was founded in 1996 by Barbara Macleod, an award-winning Registered Nurse and Businesswoman with a dream of providing the services she would want for her own family.
Barbara recognises a real need to ensure that each client or prospective service user has access to services that are determined according to their perceived need and aims of the Consumer Directed Care Model. Services are planned, delivered and evaluated in partnership with clients/veterans and or their representative. As an Eden Associate she beliefs that suffering among our Elders is mainly related to their level of loneliness, helplessness and boredom
We are a proudly West Australian company
The statement that sits under our Carealot trademark is “Extraordinary People”. We chose these words because Carealot is all about seemingly ordinary people who are actually extraordinary – from the extraordinary people we help to the extraordinary staff at Carealot, whose hands and hearts make an extraordinary difference to lives every day.
“To provide person-centered, high quality, effective and cost efficient care that promotes independence, enabling people to make their own life choices and be treated with dignity and respect.”
Our Guiding Principles are based on the ‘Eden Alternative Philosophy’
- To understand that loneliness, helplessness and boredom account for the bulk of human sufferings among our elderly.
- That life in a truly humane community revolves around close and continuing contact with people, animals, nature and spiritual faith. These ancient relationships provide the young and old alike with a pathway to a life worth living.
- A loving companionship is the antidote to loneliness. In a humane community we must provide easy access to human and animal companionship. Wisdom grows with honouring and respecting elders.
- That giving and receiving care are the antidotes to helplessness. To give care to another makes us more compassionate and tolerant. To receive care gracefully is a pleasure and an art. A humane community promotes both of these virtues in its daily life, seeking the middle-path to balance one with the other.
- Variety and spontaneity are the antidotes to boredom. When we fill our lives with love, compassion, tolerance, variety and spontaneity, we honour the universe and our place in it.
- Meaning is essential to human life. Meaningless activity demeans the human spirit. The opportunity to do things meaningful is essential to human health and peace within. Trust in each other allows us the pleasure of answering the needs of the moment.
- Medical treatment is a partner in care, never its master.
- Empowering staff and elders in person directed decision making is key to success. Encourage the heart and develop formal and informal leaders.
- Human growth must never be separated from human life. Creating a humane community is a never ending process. Set the Vision, Educate (everyone) then Implement for success.
- Wise leadership is the lifeblood of thriving. Compassion and wise leadership is the lifeblood of any struggle against loneliness, helplessness and boredom. For it, there can be no substitute.
Why Choose us?
Whether you need specialised nursing care or help with showering, household chores or gardening, Carealot can put together a care plan tailor-made for you.
We work closely with family members and primary carers as well as doctors, hospital social workers, discharge planners and government-funded organisations to develop a plan that works for everyone involved.
Carealot also has industry knowledge on how best to take advantage of any funding available through community care programs. That means we know how to provide the highest quality services at the lowest possible cost to our clients.